Italian Flank Steak
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons diced garlic
- 1 flank steak, about 2 pounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly julienne carrots
- 1/2 cup roasted julienne red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup julienne oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup julienne green onions
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 2 (6-inch) bamboo skewers
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup fire roasted tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
In a small saute pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, and garlic and cook until translucent. Remove and let cool.
Tenderize flank steak with a meat mallet and cut into 1/4-inch pieces, approximately 5 by 8 inches long. Lightly season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Place carrots, red bell peppers, sun-dried tomato, and green onions in separate layers over the first 5 inches of the steak lengthwise. Top with garlic and onion mixture, then evenly coat with shredded mozzarella cheese and parsley.
Roll flank steak, starting with end that has vegetables, firmly without pushing out vegetables. Secure rolled steak with skewers.
To a rimmed plate stir the flour and Italian seasoning together and dredge the rolled flank steak, coating evenly.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a medium saute pan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and when hot add the rolled flank steak, searing on all sides for about 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove the flank steak from the pan and place on a baking sheet. Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer.
Place the saute pan back on burner and deglaze with the white wine. Stir, and reduce for 2 minutes, then add tomato sauce and chicken stock. Let mixture continue to reduce for 2 more minutes. Remove the steak from the oven and let rest. Slice on the bias 1/2-inch, shingle out, and top with sauce.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Sliced Chili Rubbed Flank Steak on Spicy Rice with Shrimp and Guacamole Stacks, Sauteed Flank Steak, Flank Steak with Creamed Swiss Chard and Pine Nuts, Hamburger Recipes, Roasting Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Beef Stroganoff Recipes, Beef Stew Recipes, Roast Beef Recipes