- 1 19oz pkg Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage, decased
- 3/4 lb ground beef or turkey
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 small sweet Red bell pepper, finely chopped (ok to use green bell)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or defrosted frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 slices provolone cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the chili sauce with the water. Add the oats, egg, chili powder, Worcestershire, and mix well. Add the decased sausage and the ground turkey or beef. Add the bell pepper, onion and corn and mix well. Divide the meat mixture in half. Lay half the meat mixture in a lightly greased 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan.
Create a shallow indent in the meat allowing the edges to rise along the edge of the pan. Layer the provolone and the spinach leaves on top of the meat along the center, staying about 1/2 inch away from the edges. Cover completely with the 2nd half of the meat mixture forming a domed top and sealing the edges.
Bake uncovered for 50 minutes. Spread the remaining 1/4 cup chili sauce over the top of the loaf and bake until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers 165 degrees F. About 15-20 minutes longer. Allow the loaf to stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing.