J J's Smoked Gouda Vegetable Soup
- 10 strips bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onion
- 2 or more cloves garlic, mashed and chopped
- 2 carrots, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced (or crushed) tomatoes (do not drain)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or Great Northern beans (do not drain)
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and chopped in large pieces
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced and chopped in large pieces
- 2 large leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 12 leaves fresh oregano, chopped
- 12 (1/2-inch) slices French baguette
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Hungarian paprika to taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup smoked Gouda cheese, diced
Render bacon slowly in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserve for garnish, and heat fat on medium-low. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking until onions are translucent. Do not allow garlic to burn. Transfer onions and garlic to a soup pot. Add carrots, tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the beans, red peppers, chicken broth, zucchini, and yellow squash. Bring to a boil. Add basil and oregano. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Five minutes before serving, add Gouda cheese to soup and allow a few minutes for cheese to soften. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Sprinkle reserved bacon over top. Place 2 slices of toast per serving on top of soup.
The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.