Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet chili, serrano, or Thai bird chiles, seeded and minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 -inch piece cinnamon, crushed
- 2 tablespoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 pounds chicken pieces
Combine the oil and vinegar in a medium glass bowl. Stir in the orange and lime juice, molasses, soy sauce, cilantro, green onions, garlic, chili, bay leaves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, sage, thyme, allspice, pepper, and nutmeg.
Place the chicken pieces in a large baking pan and pour the spice mixture over them, coating each piece well. Cover with plastic wrap and place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate 12 hours or overnight, turning once.
Allow the chicken pieces to come to room temperature before grilling. Heat the grill until the coals are somewhat white with ash; the flame should be low. Place the chicken on the grill and cover with the lid. Grill for 30 to 35 minutes, turning pieces to cook evenly. Baste pieces with remaining marinade.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.