- 7 ounces long grain rice
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces celery, finely chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, skin removed and chopped, juice reserved
- 5 ounces tomato paste
- Sachet of 3 parsley stalks, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces cooked ham, in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled
Wash rice and spread out to dry. Heat clarified butter in a large casserole dish on medium heat. Add rice and stir. Spread sliced onion and garlic over rice. Don't stir; simply press down. Also without stirring, add green pepper. Press down. Add salt, white pepper, and celery. Press down. Rice should begin to turn pale brown on bottom, but not burn. Add tomato pulp and juice. Stir together. Stir in tomato paste, herbs, ham, hot pepper sauce, and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add shrimp and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring often until rice is plump and has absorbed most of the liquid. Toss out herbs and serve piping hot.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.