- One 4-pound brisket corned beef
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch red chili powder
- One 12-ounce bottle of beer
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 rutabagas, peeled and cut into 6 wedges (softball size)
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 6 wedges (softball size)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- Dijon mustard, for serving
Add the corned beef with its spice packet to a large Dutch oven. Add the mustard seeds, bay leaf and chili powder. Pour in the beer and cover the corned beef under 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid, turn heat to low and cook for 3 hours.
Add the carrots, rutabagas, turnips and onions after 3 hours, and cook uncovered until the vegetables are tender, another 30 minutes.
Remove the corned beef to a cutting board and slice into 1/4-inch-thick pieces against the grain of the meat. Place on a platter with the vegetables and some Dijon mustard for serving.