- 8 slices applewood bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef ( blend of ground chuck and lean sirloin, 80/20 ratio)
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices sharp Cheddar
- 4 burger buns
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, sliced into rings and sauteed
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, for serving
- Heirloom tomatoes, for serving
- Avocado, mashed, for serving
- Jamie's Special Sauce, recipe follows
- Jamie's Special Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the bacon on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, white onions and some salt and pepper until just combined. Don't overwork it. Form the beef into four 1-inch-thick patties and use your thumb to create an indent in the center of each burger. Place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to grill.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and brush the grill grates with the oil.
Place the burgers on the grill and cook, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add the cheese slices to the burgers the last minute of grilling, covering the grill to help the cheese to melt. Remove the burgers from the grill to rest. Toast the buns cut-side down for 1 minute when the burgers are resting.Jamie's Special Sauce:
Recipe courtesy Jamie Deen
Recipe courtesy of Scott Conant