Jamie's Award-Winning Chili
Two hours of simmering creates well-melded flavor in Jamie Deen's loaded chili. The beef is sprinkled with cumin, chili powder and oregano[-making it arguably a star of the dish (but don't tell the beans).]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- One 4-ounce can tomato paste
- One 12-ounce bottle beer
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded Cheddar
- Sour cream
- Chopped green onions
Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and peppers and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until just fragrant. Stir in the beef and sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon, and cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
Drain the beef mixture through a colander. Add it back to the Dutch oven and stir in the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir the tomato paste into the beef mixture; this will "toast" it and give the chili more flavor. Add the beer and stir up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, and then add the diced tomatoes and beans. Simmer on medium-low for 2 hours, stirring on occasion to keep the bottom from sticking.
Top with shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions before serving.
From Food Network Kitchens; after further testing and to ensure the best results this recipe has been altered from what was in the actual episode.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.