This is a proper "blokes" pudding loads of custard, a little warmed syrup over the top and even some cream. Superb!
- 4 ounces (115 grams) suet
- 4 1/2 ounces (120 grams) dried apricots, chopped
- 8 ounces (240 grams) raisins or sultanas
- 1 orange, zested
- 4 1/2 ounces (120 grams) plain flour
- 4 1/2 ounces (120 grams) sugar
- 4 1/2 ounces (120 grams) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger (or to taste)
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pint (140 milliliters) milk
Grease a 3-pint (1 liter) pudding basin. Mix all the ingredients together, except the egg and milk. Add the beaten egg and milk and mix well. (I do this in a mixer but you can do it by hand, no problem.)
Put the mixture in the basin, cover with tin foil or a cloth, and put the basin in a pan with water half-way up the sides of the basin. Bring the water to a boil, put on a tight-fitting lid, and simmer for 3 hours, remembering to top up with (add more) boiling water now and then.