The combination of the three cheeses with the pancetta and thyme is great. Give it a go.
For the pastry:
- 1 pound 1-ounce (500 grams) plain flour
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) lard
- 5 1/2 ounces (150 grams) butter
- Pinch salt
- 2 large organic eggs
For the filling:
- 5 large organic eggs
- 1 pint (568 milliliters) double cream (heavy cream)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 handful Cheddar and Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) log goat's cheese, crumbled
- 10 thin slices pancetta
- 1 small handful thyme tips, mixed into olive oil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C/gas 5). Rub together the flour and the fat. Add the eggs and bring together carefully without over working it. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Once your pastry has chilled roll it out to fit an 11-inch (28 centimeter) tin with a removable bottom. Freeze the pastry mold then cover with greased paper, fill the tin with baking beans and bake it blind for 10 minutes.
Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C/gas 4). Mix all the filling ingredients together then pour the filling into the pastry case. Sprinkle over the goat's cheese, lay over the pancetta slices and then finish off with a drizzle of your thyme oil. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.