Jamie's Huevos Rancheros
- One 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces cured chorizo, casings removed, diced
- Vegetable oil
- Four 6-inch corn tortillas, plus more for serving, optional
- One 16-ounce can refried beans, optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced, for garnish
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled queso fresco or grated Monterey Jack, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
In a food processor, combine the tomatoes (with juices), cilantro, onions, garlic, jalapeno, and salt; puree until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a small skillet and simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo until browned, about 5 minutes. Add to the sauce and cover again.
Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the fat in the skillet. Place a tortilla in the skillet and cook until light golden but not crisp, about 30 seconds. Flip and cook for 30 seconds more. Transfer to an individual plate. Cook the remaining tortillas, adding a bit more oil to the pan if necessary.
Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Working in batches, crack the eggs into the skillet. Cook until the bottoms are set and the edges golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until set, about 1 minute more. Place 1 egg on each tortilla and spoon the warm sauce over the eggs. Sprinkle with the avocado, cheese and additional cilantro. Top with a dollop of sour cream.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.