Jen's Sweet Potato Bisque
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (recommended: Savory Spice Shop s Sage and Savory Stuffing Seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Sage and Savory Croutons, for serving, recipe follows
- Special Equipment: Immersion Blender
- Sage and Savory Croutons:
- 1 cup cubed French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (recommended: Savory Spice Shop s Sage and Savory Stuffing Seasoning)
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Add butter and oil to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the butter foams, add the onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the corn and cook for 1 more minute.
Add the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, apple juice, 2 teaspoons seasoning, white pepper, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, allspice, and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through and fork tender, about 20 minutes.
Use an immersion blender and puree the bisque until smooth. Taste for seasoning, then stir in the heavy cream. Rewarm over low heat. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with Sage and Savory Croutons.Sage and Savory Croutons:
Heat olive oil in saucepan over low heat. Carefully add the bread to the saucepan and toss until browned. While browning, sprinkle with poultry seasoning. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Recipe courtesy of Janet Johnston