Japanese Beef and Vegetables: Sukiyaki
- 3 ounces peanut oil, plus 3 ounces
- 1 1/2 pounds beef top round, trimmed and cut into julienne
- 4 ounces soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 10 scallions, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch strips
- 10 ounces peeled and julienned Spanish onion
- 10 ounces mushrooms, washed, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 pound tofu, cut into small dice
- 10 ounces spinach, washed, stemmed and cut chiffonade
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots, julienned
- 10 ounces mirin (available in Asian markets)
- 1 1/2 pounds shirataki noodles, cooked, cooled and cut into thirds
In a wok, heat 3 ounces of peanut oil. Add beef strips and stir-fry quickly, just to brown meat. Season with soy sauce and sugar, then remove and set aside.
Clean the wok, and heat the remaining 3 ounces of peanut oil. Add scallions, onions, mushrooms, tofu, spinach, and bamboo shoots. Stir-fry quickly, about 2 minutes. Add mirin and noodles and return cooked meat to the mixture. Stir-fry an additional minute or just until hot and well-incorporated.
Remove from wok and serve at once on a preheated dinner plate.
Recipe courtesy Deserea Clarke