Japanese-Style Deep-fried Shrimp coated with Rice: Domyoji Age
- 2 1/2 pounds Japanese rice
- 40 (16/20) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Seasoned flour, as needed
- 7 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Peanut oil, as needed
- 2 (8-ounce) green bell peppers, washed, seeded and sliced into 1/2-inch wide strips
- Ajishio, as an accompaniment
- 2 lemons, sliced, as an accompaniment
- Sweet and sour sauce, as an accompaniment
Cook the rice the day before, spread on a sheet pan, and refrigerate overnight.
Make 3 cuts across inner curve of shrimp, 1/2-inch apart. (This prevents shrimp from curling when cooked.) Coat the shrimp in flour and shake off any excess.
Dip shrimp into the egg whites and then into the coarse rice. (Be sure that the rice adheres firmly.)
In a wok, heat oil over moderate heat to 350 degrees F. Deep-fry shrimp until golden. Drain well on absorbent paper and place on a sheet pan-well spread out-into a preheated 450 degree F oven for 3 to 4 minutes to finish cooking process. Serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.