Egg in Da Port
- 4 portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and gills removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill grates
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- Shaved aged Cheddar, for topping
Hollow out a shallow depression in each mushroom on the gill side. In a large resealable bag, combine the garlic, lemon zest and juice, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with the mushrooms. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat a grill to medium-high heat; brush the grill grates with vegetable oil. Place the marinated mushrooms on the grates stem/gill-side down and grill for 6 to 7 minutes. Flip and crack 1 egg on top of each mushroom in the hollowed-out depression. Close the lid and grill until the egg whites are solid but the yolks are still runny, 6 to 7 minutes.
Whisk together the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, honey mustard and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the arugula and tomatoes and toss together.
Top the mushrooms with the arugula salad, shaved aged Cheddar and cracked black pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray