Egg in Da Port
- 4 portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and gills removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 shallot, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill grates
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- Shaved aged Cheddar, for topping
Hollow out a shallow depression in each mushroom on the gill side. In a large resealable bag, combine the garlic, lemon zest and juice, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with the mushrooms. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat a grill to medium-high heat; brush the grill grates with vegetable oil. Place the marinated mushrooms on the grates stem/gill-side down and grill for 6 to 7 minutes. Flip and crack 1 egg on top of each mushroom in the hollowed-out depression. Close the lid and grill until the egg whites are solid but the yolks are still runny, 6 to 7 minutes.
Whisk together the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, honey mustard and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the arugula and tomatoes and toss together.
Top the mushrooms with the arugula salad, shaved aged Cheddar and cracked black pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse