- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced pitted oil-cured black olives
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds mortadella, sliced about 1/8 inch thick
- 6 ounces muenster cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 24-inch baguette
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
Preheat a grill to medium high. Make the olive aioli: Mix the mayonnaise, olives, mustard, garlic and honey in a bowl. Taste and add salt if necessary.
Make a small cut on the edge of each slice of mortadella to prevent it from curling as it cooks. Grill the mortadella until marked, then flip, top with a slice of cheese and grill until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 more minutes. (You can also cook the mortadella in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes per side.)
Sandwich build: Split the baguette in half lengthwise and toast lightly on the grill. Schmear the olive aioli on the baguette top. Layer the cheese-topped mortadella on the baguette bottom. Top with the tomatoes, lettuce and the baguette top. Cut into individual sandwiches.
Photograph by Kang Kim