- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 4 Soft Hoagie Rolls, brushed with butter and slightly toasted in the oven
- Horseradish Remoulade, recipe follows
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 8 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Fill a Dutch oven halfway with oil and heat to 375 degrees F.
Whisk the flour, cornmeal, seafood seasoning and sprinkle with salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside. In another small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, Sriracha and egg and set aside.
Place the shrimp into the buttermilk mixture, let the excess drip off, then dredge in the flour mixture and shake off any excess. Place the shrimp onto a wire-racked baking sheet. Repeat until all shrimp are breaded.
Fry the shrimp in batches, not overcrowding the oil, until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Place the shrimp onto a paper-towel-lined-plate. Repeat until all the shrimp are fried. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Spread both sides of the rolls heavily with the Horseradish Remoulade. Place the shrimp on top and then the tomatoes, lettuce and some onions. Eat away!