Smoked Salmon Loxwich
- Smoked Sea Salt Cream Cheese:
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, lightly chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- Caramelized Onions:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 Spanish onions, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Marinated cucumbers:
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Sandwich Build:
- 4 everything bagels, toasted
- 1 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
For the onions: Place the butter, onions and a pinch of salt and pepper in a heavy duty pot over medium to low heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon as the onions tend to stick. Cook until amber brown, about 30 minutes, adding water as needed to pick up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat.
Place the cucumbers and dill in a glass bowl. In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup water, the vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and pour over the cucumbers. Let cool to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes. Once cool, store in the fridge in an airtight container.
For the sandwich build: Spread a healthy amount of the prepared cream cheese on the toasted bagels. Top each with 4 to 5 slices of lovely lox, the caramelized onions and a few of the marinated cucumbers, and serve the rest of the cucumbers on the sideand you are killin' it!
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen