- 1 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup corn nuts
- 2 dried ancho chiles or 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 dried guajillo chiles or 2 tablespoons guajillo chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Mix the peanuts, pepitas, almonds and corn nuts in a large bowl.
If using dried chiles, pull off the stems and scrape out the seeds. Tear the chiles into 2-inch pieces. Put the chiles, allspice, cumin, orange zest and cayenne in a spice grinder and pulse until the chiles are ground. (If using chile powder, mix the ingredients in a bowl.) Add to the nut mixture. Add the sugar, canola oil and 2 tablespoons salt. Stir with a fork to evenly coat.
Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake 4 minutes, then stir with a fork and continue baking until lightly golden, about 4 more minutes. Pour the nuts onto a clean baking sheet to cool. Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy.
Photograph by Kang Kim