Jerk Chicken Skewer:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded thin
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped scallion
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground pimento seeds (allspice berries)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 habanero pepper, chopped For less heat use a milder pepper like poblano or jalapeno
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 20 (6-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Cut the chicken into 20 thin strips, about the size of your small finger. Thread onto 1end of each skewer and place into a bowl until marinade is ready. Keep the bamboo handles all on 1 side so as not to touch the marinade when it is added.
Pour 1/2 the marinade over the chicken only, trying not to touch the skewers. Make sure to coat the chicken entirely. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Jerk Sauce
Place the remainder of the marinade into a small saucepan and add:
- 3/4 cup mango puree
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded
Place over medium heat until thickened and the tomato has broken down, about 30 minutes. Puree, if desired for a smoother consistency. Let cool and serve with the chicken skewers when they are ready.
To finish, place the chicken end of the skewers over a hot, well-oiled grill and cook about 3 minutes per side. Time might vary depending on how hot the grill is or how thick the chicken is. If a grill is not available, you can place under a broiler for about the same time. Serve with the jerk sauce.