Jill's Basic Potato Tart
- 1 (10 to 12-inch) pastry tart shell, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 to 5 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced (2 cups)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat Oven: 350 degrees F.
Line a 10 to 12-inch tart pan with your favorite pastry shell. Lightly brush or spread the Dijon mustard on the shell. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Swiss cheese over the mustard. Peel the potatoes and cut them into large chunks. Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender. Drain the potatoes and then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Mash the potatoes. In a large saute pan melt the butter with the oil. Dice onions and saute in butter/oil mixture. Add the onion to the mashed potatoes. Add 1 cup of ricotta cheese, eggs and the remaining 1 cup of grated Swiss cheese to the potato/onion mixture. Add salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into the pastry shell. Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
Recipe courtesy Reading Terminal, Philadelphia, PA
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse