- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 scant teaspoon aniseeds, coarsely crushed in a mortar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 (2-inch) length vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out
- 1 quarter-sized slice fresh ginger
- 1 ounce Valrhona Pur Caraibe dark chocolate (66% cacao), finely chopped
- Very small pinch of salt
In a heavy saucepan set over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, aniseeds, orange zest, vanilla beans and seeds, and ginger. Bring just to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to very low, and keep at a bare simmer for 10 minutes.
Place the chocolate in a small bowl. Using a fine-mesh strainer, strain a few spoonfuls of the hot cream mixture over the chocolate and whisk with a small wire whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. Strain the rest of the cream mixture over the chocolate, add the salt, and whisk to combine thoroughly before pouring into a serving cup.