- 1 package banana leaves
- 4 cups Masa mix, follow instructions on package
- 4 pounds Mahi Mahi or snapper or other firm-fleshed fish
- 1 tablespoon achiote paste
- 1 ancho chile
- 1/4 pound butter, at room temperature
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons minced cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
- 1 cup sweet corn, cut off the cob and blanched
- 1/4 cup red onion, small diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters if large
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced
For the achiote butter: Mix everything in a food processor until well combined.
For the corn salsa: Mix everything in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
For the tamales: Cut banana leaves into approximately 12-inch squares and wipe clean with damp towel. Place about 3 ounces of prepared tamale masa in the middle of the leaf and place a piece of fish on top of the masa. Coat the fish with achiote-chile butter then top with another spoonful of masa and spread over the fish to completely encase. Fold the edges of the banana leaf over the fish, making a packet. Tie with a string and steam for 10 minutes. Serve with Corn Salsa.