- 6 ounce green papaya, shredded
- 6 small cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small Thai bird chile
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon palm or cane sugar
- 1 cabbage, sliced and chilled
- Dried shrimp, for garnish
- Ground peanuts, for garnish
In a mixing bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime or lemon juice, and the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Using a mortar and a wood pestle, pound the garlic and chili with a little bit of the papaya to prevent the pepper from spraying you in the eyes. Add the rest of the papaya, tomatoes and fish sauce mixture. Pound gently to blend then adjust seasoning. To serve, place a scoop of the salad in the middle of a plate surrounded by the sliced cabbage then garnish with the dried shrimp and ground peanuts.