- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup beer
- 2 pounds wall-eye pike fillets, skinless and boneless, cut in strips 1-inch thick
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- Remoulade Sauce, as an accompaniment, recipe follows
For the batter: Mix everything in a bowl until smooth.
Heat oil in a large pot to 375 degrees F.
Dip pieces of fish in the batter and then drop in oil and fry until golden brown.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped Gherkin pickles
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill,
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
Mix everything together in a bowl.