- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 stewing chickens
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 pounds smoked sausage, sliced in thin pieces
- 2 pounds crab legs
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 2 or 3 cans oysters
- Cooked rice or crackers, as an accompaniment
To make roux, heat the oil in heavy skillet until very hot. Add the flour a little at a time, stirring constantly, until it forms a paste. Lower heat and continue to stir until dark brown, do not burn
Turn off heat and continue to stir until mixture stops bubbling.
Fill large pot half full with water. Season the chicken with the garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper and salt. Add the chicken, basil, rosemary, green pepper, celery, onion, sausage, crab legs and roux to the pot. Bring to full boil, stirring constantly to keep roux from sticking to bottom.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.