- 1 medium-sized Mexican or Hawaiian papaya, diced
- 1 large mango, semiripe
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- 1medium-sized beefsteak tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo fresh shrimp, or frozen and thawed, peeled (tail off) cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 package butter lettuce
In a 10 or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. In a medium-sized mixing bowl add the chopped shrimp and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of crab boil seasoning and a 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Use a rubber spatula to mix until incorporated. Transfer the shrimp to the skillet and cook through. If the shrimp is raw cook 3 to 5 minutes, or cook until hot if the shrimp were pre-cooked, about 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
Wash lettuce and pull it apart into 8 large pieces, which will serve as your "lettuce cups". With a large spoon, scoop a spoonful of the mango and papaya relish into each lettuce cup followed by a tablespoon or so (4 or 5 pieces) of shrimp. Best served at room temperature.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.