Jyd's Mom's Down Home Juicy Meatloaf
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 6 slices stale white loaf bread, crushed into bread crumbs
- 5 scallions, medium dice
- 1 cup medium dice yellow onions
- 1 cup medium dice green peppers
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces meatloaf seasoning
- 1 (12 ounce) jar beef gravy
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, optional
- 1 (16-ounce can) tomato paste
Preheat oven to 370 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, place the beef, bread crumbs, scallions, onions, green peppers, garlic, eggs, black pepper, salt, meatloaf seasoning, beef gravy, and cheddar. Using a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients until they are evenly distributed.
Turn the meat mixture out into a large roasting pan. Form into a loaf shape. Cover the pan with aluminum foil, and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove the roasting pan with the loaf from the oven, quickly closing the door to keep the oven hot. Remove the aluminum foil. Spread the top and sides of the loaf with the tomato paste. Roast, uncovered, for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until an inserted meat thermometer reaches 155 degrees F.
Let meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri