Kaapie Braai Sous
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- several drops of Tabasco sauce
Mixing fruit with spice is part of the cooking culture of the Cape, inherited from the Cape Malays, indentured servants of the Dutch East India Company in the 17th Century.
Bring to boil the first 12 ingredients and the vinegar. Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat and then allow to cool completely.
Remove the bay leaves and add the tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, crushed garlic and Tabasco drops.
Combine well and store in a plastic container in the refrigerator for future use.
The recipes for this contest, which were provided by contributors who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.