Karewai Fillet Steak
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 4 steaks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- 4 ounces mushrooms, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup catsup
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 4 slices white bread cut into rounds
- 1/4 pound liverwurst sausage, cut into rounds
Place clarified butter in frypan and when hot rub base of pan with garlic. Season steaks and sear on both sides. Crush garlic clove into saucepan, add a little butter and fry gently. Add mushrooms and toss in the butter. Add catsup, cook 2 minutes and then add wine and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. Simmer sauce for 5 minutes. Remove steaks and keep warm. Add butter to pan and fry bread. Spread fried bread with liverwurst and place on serving dish. Place steaks on the bread and coat with sauce. Garnish with parsley and serve.
A Graham Kerr creation for the New Zealand Meat Board.
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller
Recipe courtesy of Paul Young