- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Coarse salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 medium Napa cabbage
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn into quarters
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons black and white sesame seeds
- 1 pound ahi tuna steaks
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a large salad bowl, whisk together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and sesame oil. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Cut cabbage in 1/2 lengthwise and slice into thin ribbons. Place cabbage, carrots, basil, mint, and cilantro in the bowl with the dressing. Toss to combine. Set aside.
Pour the sesame seeds out onto a plate. Press the tuna into the seeds on both sides, pressing gently so the sesame seeds stick.
Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add fish to pan and cook until rare, about 2 minutes per side. Alternatively, cook until done to your likeness. Slice thin and distribute among 4 serving plates. Serve with a generous portion of Napa cabbage slaw.