- 1 1/4 pound flank steak or reserved cooked flank steak from broiled flank steak recipe *see cooks note
- Coarse salt
- Cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup lime juice divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vietnamese chili paste
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large head butter lettuce, washed and spun dry
*Cooks Note: if using reserved cooked steak, there is no need to cook it again. Just slice it thinly and use.
Season flank steak with salt and pepper and 1/4 cup lime juice. Heat oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add flank steak and cook to medium rare, turning once, about 6 to 7 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board and let rest.
In a large, non-reactive salad bowl, whisk together remaining lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, chili paste and cilantro. Add cucumber, mango and lettuce leaves to dressing. Toss until combined. Divide among 5 serving dishes.
Slice flank steak very thin and divide slices among the salads. Place over greens.