- 8 ounces rice stick noodles
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons roasted peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 4 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, about two small bunches
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
Cover noodles with boiling water. Soak 20 minutes or until soft but not fully "cooked". Drain and set aside.
In a small non-reactive bowl whisk together lime juice, water, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, cayenne, and oil. Set aside.
Add oil, garlic, shallots and shrimp to 12-inch, non-stick skillet. Turn heat to medium high and cook until shrimp is mostly pink about 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, stir and scramble until just moist.
Add noodles, fish sauce mixture, peanuts, sprouts and scallions. Using a pair of tongs or 2 large spoons, toss until noodles are evenly coated.
Add the cilantro. Cook tossing constantly until noodles are tender and sauce has thickened slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve immediately.