La Brochette des Corsaires
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled, shells reserved
- 12 scallops
- 1/2 cup light oil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- Freshly ground salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound halibut, washed, boned, bones reserved, flesh cut in large cubes
- For Rice:
- Clarified butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red pepper, finely diced, top and bottom trimmed, trimmings reserved
- 1 medium green pepper, finely diced, top and bottom trimmed, trimmings reserved
- 1 1/4 cups long grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups fish stock
- 1 eggplant, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, seeds removed and reserved
- 2 zucchini, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup peas
Heat 2 cups salted water. Add pepper trimmings, eggplant trimmings, halibut bones and shrimp shells. Boil for 15 minutes for a simple fish stock. Poach shrimp and scallops in stock. Once cooked, strain stock and reserve.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pour oil in small pan and add herbs. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
For Rice: Heat clarified butter in large casserole and add onion and peppers and spread over rice. Stir all ingredients together, increase heat and fry for 1 minute. Pour 1 1/2 cups fish stock into rice and add eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and peas. Place in oven for 20 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Brush broiler rack with herb oil and place skewers on rack, brushing them with oil. Broil skewers, about 3 minutes per side. Serve skewers over rice.