- 1/3 cup mango chutney, any large chunks chopped
- 1/4 cup apple juice or 3 tablespoons water with 1 tablespoon light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow or brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
- 12 thick slices bacon (about 3/4 pound)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stir the chutney, juice, mustard, and vinegar together in a small bowl. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake the bacon until it begins to look opaque and the fat begins to render, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour off any accumulated drippings. Turn over the bacon and brush about 1/2 of the glaze on the bacon. Return the bacon to the oven and cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer. Remove the bacon from the oven and turn it over again. Brush it with the remaining glaze and return it to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes, until well browned and firm. (With the glaze coating the bacon gets chewy and crunchy but stays short of crisp.) If you want to drain the bacon, do it on a rack rather than on paper towels to avoid wiping off the glaze. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Cheryl and Bill Jamison; authors A Real American Breakfast
Recipe courtesy of Tom Pizzica