c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 20 min
- 20 min
- 2 hr
- 6 servings
- 4 pounds boneless, trimmed lamb shoulder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons pureed garlic
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts brown lamb stock or canned chicken broth
- Plain yogurt and Fried Onions, for garnish
Cut meat, as uniformly as possible, into 2 by 3 inch cubes. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Cook meat until golden brown on all sides, then reserve on a platter. In same pot, cook onions, stirring occasionally, until golden. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and all dry spices, and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return meat to pan and pour in lamb stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour 15 minutes. Occasionally skim and discard fat that rises to the top.
Ladle warm stew over a bed of basmati rice and serve with Orange Dal with Ginger and Garlic. Garnish with yogurt and Fried Onions. Serve immediately.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Roasted Lamb Chops with Shallots, Tomatoes, and Olive Jus, Lamb Chops with Rosemary Plum Sauce and Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Vinaigrette and Diced Egg, Prosciutto and Cheese Stuffed Lamb Tenderloin, Roast Beef Recipes, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Meat Recipes, Pork Tenderloin Recipes, Pork Butt Recipes, Short Ribs Recipes