- 4 pounds boneless, trimmed lamb shoulder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons pureed garlic
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts brown lamb stock or canned chicken broth
- Plain yogurt and Fried Onions, for garnish
Cut meat, as uniformly as possible, into 2 by 3 inch cubes. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Cook meat until golden brown on all sides, then reserve on a platter. In same pot, cook onions, stirring occasionally, until golden. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and all dry spices, and cook about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return meat to pan and pour in lamb stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour 15 minutes. Occasionally skim and discard fat that rises to the top.
Ladle warm stew over a bed of basmati rice and serve with Orange Dal with Ginger and Garlic. Garnish with yogurt and Fried Onions. Serve immediately.