Lamb Meatballs with Tomato Sauce, Sheep's Milk Cheese and Cucumbers: Albondigas de Cordero
- Tomato sauce:
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 Roma tomatoes, blanched and peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped basil leaves
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds lamb breast
- 1 pound lamb top round
- 20 grams kosher salt
- 1/2 cup white bread bread cubes, crusts discarded, soaked in milk
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 4 teaspoons freshly chopped sage leaves
- 4 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 egg, beaten
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup fresh sheep's milk ricotta
- 1 english cucumber, finely chopped
DirectionsFor the Sauce:
In a large pot, over medium heat, sweat onion, then add garlic and tomato. Cook for 5 minutes. Add sugar, vinegar and remaining ingredients and cook down for 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and run through a food mill. Set aside.
Dice the meat and mix with salt. Grind twice with 1/4-inch die. Add all other ingredients except egg and paddle in standing mixer for 1 minute. Add the egg and mix to combine.
Form into 1-inch round balls, dust with all-purpose flour. Add a coating of oil to a large skillet, and shallow-fry the meatballs until golden. Cover with tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Sprinkle with ricotta and chopped cucumber and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.