- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 pounds boneless lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and lightly rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
Heat butter in a large heavy lidded pan over medium-high heat until fragrant and golden. Add lamb in 2 batches and brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Add onions and scallions and cook, stirring often until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in drained chickpeas, water, garlic, ginger, salt, black pepper, cinnamon and red pepper. Return the lamb and all accumulated juices to the pan. Gently stir to coat.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat so the liquid just simmers. Cover tightly and cook, stirring the lamb once or twice, for 35 to 45 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in parsley and salt and pepper to taste.