Lazy Man's (or Lazy Mom's Lasagna)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion, optional
- 1 garlic clove, minced, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces frozen (not thawed) cheese ravioli
- 1 (14-ounce jar) spaghetti sauce
- 8 -ounces provolone, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Brown the beef with the optional onion, optional garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper in a large, ovenproof skillet (I use one that's made of castiron). When the meat is thoroughly cooked -- it will take 8 to 10 minutes -- drain off any fat and take everything out of the pan. Now put the still-frozen ravioli into the pan, breaking them up if they are clumped. Spread the ground beef mixture evenly over the ravioli, and ladle the spaghetti sauce evenly over the ground beef mixture. Over medium heat, without stirring, cook until the ravioli is heated through and beginning to brown on the bottom -- about 10 minutes.
Take the skillet off the heat, lay the provolone slices over the ground beef mixture, and sprinkle the whole thing with the Parmesan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy Ann Hodgman