Leek, Potato and Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/4 stick (1 ounce) butter
- 2 large leeks, washed and chopped (you can use the green tops, but wash them well since they are quite sandy)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, with tips intact
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 whole green onions, chopped, for garnish
Put the oil, butter, leeks, celery and onion in a large pot. Cover and cook about 8 minutes, stirring every minute or so, until the onion is translucent and the leeks have softened. Add the potatoes and water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 12 to 15 minutes. Add the asparagus, milk and cream. Stir and cook, covered, at least 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle the chopped green onions on top of the soup just before serving. Wonderful soup!
Thank you! your flag was submitted.