Leeks Veritablement a la Grecque
- 1 pound leeks uniform size (each not more 1 1/4 inches in diameter)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh marjoram, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- Fresh marjoram and fresh oregano, minced, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the leeks. Trim off the root end, and cut each leek so it is approximately 6 inches long. (Discard the dark green part of the leek.) If the leeks are more than 1 1/4 inches in diameter, cut them lengthwise into halves or quarters. Wash the leeks by making thin, lengthwise slits and placing the leeks under running water. Arrange the leeks in a gratin pan. In a saucepan combine the water, olive oil, marjoram, cinnamon, vinegar, oregano, and salt to taste. Bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the liquid over the leeks to just cover. Arrange a piece of foil over the grain pan, and bake 35 minutes, or until leeks are tender. Transfer the leeks to a serving platter. Return the cooking liquid to the saucepan, and reduce to 1/2 cup. Strain it over the leeks. Chill, covered, for 2 hours or overnight. Just before serving, strew the leeks with the tomatoes, olives, cheese and fresh herbs.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.