These lemony cupcakes contain a decadent surprise: a cream cheese filling that elevates them to true dessert heights.
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks unsalted) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
Combine the butter and 1 1/4 cups of the sugar in the large bowl and beat with the mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. ADd the eggs and 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice and beat until well combined, scraping down the bowl once or twice as necessary. Mix in the flour, baking powder, slat, and 2 teaspoons of the lemon zest until just combined.
Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the batter into each muffin cup. Place about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on top of each portion of batter and cover the cheese with some of the remaining batter (the batter should reach three-quarters of the way to the top of each cup). Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning over onto the wire rack to cool completely. Use the strainer to sift the tops with confectioners' sugar before serving if desired.