Lemon-Oregano Chicken with Vegetable Stacks
The first time we dined at this popular Mediterranean restaurant, this entree was not on the menu. On a subsequent visit, however, Chef[ Maha described the dish and prepared it for us, saying it was going to be added soon. It was so delicious, with just a hint of lemon and wonderfully heady with oregano, that we asked her for the recipe. It's a superb way to serve chicken.]
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 10 min
- 10 min
- 1 hr
- 1 hr
- 8 servings
- 4 (5-ounce) skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons crushed dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 small Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Vegetable Stacks, recipe follows
- Vegetable Stacks:
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 2 small yellow summer squash, trimmed and sliced in thin julienne strips the same length as the snow peas
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas, trimmed
Place the chicken cubes in a shallow dish. Whisk together the lemon juice, wine, olive oil, oregano, salt, if using, and white pepper. Pour over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Spread the potatoes in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes. Add the chicken with its marinade. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, stir the potato-chicken mixture, and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before dividing among 4 heated dinner plates. Serve with a Vegetable Stack alongside.Vegetable Stacks:
Place the carrot slices and squash strips in a vegetable steamer over simmering water. Cover and steam for 2 minutes. Add the snow peas to the steamer and continue to steam for another 1 to 2 minutes, until all the vegetables are crisp-tender.
Divide the snow peas among the 4 dinner plates, arranging closely together lengthwise to form a flat base. Arrange the carrot slices on top of the snow peas and top with the strips of squash in the same direction as the snow peas. Serve hot.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time:
Ease of preparation: easy