- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 small sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled, halved lengthwise and cut across into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 coconut candy bar (recommended: Mounds), finely chopped
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can fat free whipped cream, (recommended: fat free Reddi-whip) for garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons of water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, adding more water as needed, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and apple and stir in the broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until potatoes are very soft, about 45 minutes.
Puree the potato/apple/broth mixture in a blender, then stir in the chopped candy and blend. Return the mixture back to the saucepan. Add the milk, sherry, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.