- 1/4 cup diced Canadian bacon
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- One 14 1/2-ounce can petite-cut, no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails on
- 3/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking polenta
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, for garnish, optional
Add the bacon to a nonstick skillet and saute over medium heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside. Add the garlic, onions and bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, wine, yogurt, hot sauce and salt, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the sauce begins to thicken, 6 to 8 minutes. Return the bacon to the skillet. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn bright pink and are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a heavy cast-iron skillet, add your polenta and allow it to toast for about a minute. Add the hot water and slowly whisk the polenta and water together. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Serve the shrimp mixture over the polenta. Sprinkle with the chives if desired.
Cook's Note: If your Canadian bacon doesn't render enough fat to saute your vegetables, add a teaspoon of olive oil.
Per Serving: Calories: 205; Total Fat: 4 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 grams; Protein: 13 grams; Total carbohydrates: 29 grams; Sugar: 4 grams Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 42 milligrams; Sodium: 697 milligrams