- Dipping Sauce:
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons black bean garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound lobster meat, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bamboo shoots
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon shredded basil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons finely minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 30 potsticker wrappers
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2/3 cup water
- Basil sprigs, for garnish
Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
Combine filling ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well. To shape each potsticker, place 1 teaspoon of filling in center of a potsticker wrapper. Brush edges of wrapper with water; fold wrapper in half, crimping 1 side, to form a semicircle. Pinch edges together to seal. Cover potstickers with a dry towel to prevent drying.
Place a wide frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add 1 to 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil, swirling to coat sides. Add potstickers, half at a time, seam side up. Cook until bottoms are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/3 cup water; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Place potstickers, browned side up, on a serving plate; keep warm. Cook remaining potstickers with remaining oil and water.
Garnish potstickers with basil. Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe courtesy Martin Yan, Martin Yan's Chinatown Cooking, William Morrow, 2002