Lobster Risotto with Day Boat Scallops, Shiitake Mushrooms, Peas, and Pea Tendrils
- 7 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups plus 1/2 cup lobster stock, heated, recipe follows
- Water, heated, as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 6 ounces cooked lobster meat (tail, claw, and knuckle)
- 4 ounces Asiago cheese, grated
- 2 ounces cold butter, diced
- 12 jumbo scallops (as fresh as possible)
- 1 cup fresh peas
- Pea tendrils
- Lobster Oil, for garnish, recipe follows
- Lobster Stock:
- 8 medium lobster carcasses
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and chopped
- 1 (750-ml) bottle white wine
- 5 quarts water
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Spanish saffron threads
- 3/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Lobster Oil:
- 3 lobster carcasses
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1/2 celery stalk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in Arborio rice to coat, then add wine and cook until reduced. Add stock, 2 cups at a time, for a total of 4 cups, and cook until al dente. If you run out of stock and need to add more liquid, use water. Add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Transfer risotto to a sheet pan and cool in the refrigerator, if making ahead of time.
Add 1-ounce olive oil to another saucepan and heat oil until almost smoking. Add shiitake mushrooms and reserved risotto and toss. Add remaining 1/2 cup lobster stock, a little at a time. Then add lobster meat, 2 ounces Asiago cheese, and cold butter and stir gently to incorporate and until heated through. Transfer risotto to the center of a plate.
Meanwhile, in a separate saute pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil until almost smoking. Season scallops with 1 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper. Sear scallops until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Place scallops on top of risotto.
Wipe pan out, add 1 tablespoon oil, and heat. Add peas and pea tendrils and toss for 30 seconds. Place on top of risotto and scallops. Drizzle Lobster Oil around edge of plate, garnish with remaining cheese on top, and serve.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.Lobster Stock:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place lobster bodies in roasting pan, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, and roast for 45 minutes or until slightly charred.
In a large stockpot, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, carrots, and fennel and saute for 5 minutes. Add wine and cook until reduced by half. Add roasted lobster bodies, water, and all remaining ingredients. Simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain and reserve. If making ahead of time, cool stock, and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 day, or freeze for up to 1 month.Lobster Oil:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Roast lobster bodies for 10 minutes and then transfer to a large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain and discard solids. Set aside until ready to use. If making oil more than 2 hours ahead of time, store oil in the refrigerator.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.