- Lobster shells from 4 lobsters, meat reserved for another use
- 10 Szechwan peppercorns
- 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, cut into small dice
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into small dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into small dice
- 1 ounce tomato paste
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons roux, equal parts butter and flour
- 1 piece star anise
- 2 quarts lobster stock
- Bouquet Garni
- 1 head fennel, shredded
- 2 teaspoons cold butter
In a hot pan, cook the lobster shells and peppercorns in olive oil until well browned. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until lightly caramelized.
Add the tomato paste and cook a few more minutes, being careful not to add any more color to the tomato paste. Deglaze with brandy and reduce by 1/2.
Strain the sauce, discarding the vegetables. Place lobster shells in a food processor and grind. Return ground shells to the sauce and cook until reduced to sauce consistency. Finish with cold butter whisked into sauce. When butter is incorporated, strain sauce again.
Serve with roasted fish of your choice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.