Low Carb Quick Chocolate Almond Ice Cream
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon no sugar added vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon no sugar added almond extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons whole milk ricotta cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread almonds out on a sheet pan and bake for about 5 to 7 minutes until just golden brown. (Watch them carefully as they can burn easily.) Remove and cool.
With an electric mixer on high, whip the heavy cream in a bowl just until frothy and add in the sugar substitute, extracts, cocoa powder, and ricotta cheese. Continue to whip on high until peaks form. Be careful not to over-whip, or cream will break.
Fold in toasted almonds. Using a 3-ounce ice cream scoop, place 1 scoop each in a champagne glass and freeze as "faux" ice cream or serve refrigerated as a parfait. If desired, garnish with low carb whipped cream, toasted almonds, a strawberry fan, cocoa powder, and a sprig of fresh mint.
Recipe courtesy of George Stella